Thursday 5 January 2017

January 2017 Card Group Projects - One Layout, Three Cards

Today we got together for our first card group meeting of 2017.  It came around quite quickly and I hadn't got any clear ideas as to what to make - I did know I wanted to use my SU! 'Frosted Medallions' set on one card.  As I was short of time I turned to Pinterest for inspiration and I came across this beautiful set of three 'Frosted Medallions' cards made by Rachel Tessman.

While I worked at the Glitter Pot as a class tutor I designed and ran a few 'One Layout, Four Cards' classes where I'd prepare a sketch and use it to create four cards for the class.  A few of my card group ladies came along to those classes and they wondered if I could do something similar for card group. Well, I was happy to give it a go and everyone seems to like the idea so I'll be doing more of them.  I've CASEd Rachel's design and used the layout as the Card Group Layout #1.  

For me, a sketch is a starting point and while you can choose to interpret a sketch faithfully, it's great to be able to make some changes such as rotating the sketch and changing any shapes.  You can interpret strictly or loosely - just as long as the basic layout is recognisably visible on your completed card it's all good!  


Here's my CASEd version of one of Rachel's cards.  I loved the look of the wonky panels on Rachel's cards - such a fun, quirky touch!  I adore the medallion image and I just had to stamp two images, one in Rich Razzleberry and one in Bermuda Bay ink so I could fussy cut the Bermuda Bay medallion and pop it up over the top of the Rich  Razzleberry image.  I used Pool Party CS for the card base and Rich Razzleberry CS for the mat layer.  Rachel has a fab method of cutting a rectangular panel in half so you end up with a triangle which you use as the wonky mat layer.  I glued the Rich Razzleberry triangle in place, glued the white image layer on top of the mat layer and then trimmed off the excess  as per Rachel's instructions.  I completed the card front by stamping the sentiment in Rich Razzleberry ink.


Here's the inside and the envelope.  There's a lovely doily image in the 'Frosted Medallions' set too!


For card two I've rotated the sketch and used a landscape oriented design.  I spritzed water on a panel of Pink Pirouette CS and embossed it using the fabulous SU! 'Hexagons Dynamic' embossing folder.  Wow, this folder is really impressive, the embossing is SO deep!  I matted the pink embossed panel onto a Basic Black CS mat.  I stamped and die cut two leaves, stamped and punched three flowers, shaped them and positioned them on the pink panel, popping up the three flowers.  I stamped and die cut the sentiment oval and popped it up on the pink panel - so instead of having a sentiment on the sentiment part of the layout I used an embellishment - black ribbon tied in a knot - instead.


Here's the inside and the envelope.


I love it when a sketch can be used on both rectangular and square cards and I made sure to include a square card using layout #1!  My ladies occasionally have to prod me to create masculine cards for card group but I took the opportunity of playing with some new SU! goodies to make a masculine birthday card - well, the stamps and dies were still out on my desk after I'd made a card for Owen!

For this card I kept fairly faithful to the layout - albeit using squares instead of rectangles - and I didn't position the image and mat layers right up against the top and left hand side.  I made a 4 3/4" square Crumb Cake card base, stamped the sentiment and adhered a panel of Pool Party CS.  I stamped the t-shirt onto a piece of Echo Park patterned paper, stamped the 'Vintage', die cut the t-shirt and popped it up on a Night of Navy panel.  To complete the card front I added three silver nailheads to the Night of Navy panel.  


Here's the inside and the envelope.  After I'd glued the strip of diagonal striped paper to the white panel I drew a line above it with a Night of Navy marker - a simple trick to get a neat, finished look!  I then glued the white panel inside the card.  I used a couple of fun stamps from the 'Custom Tee' stamp set to decorate the envelope flap.


As the sketch idea went down so well I set the ladies some homework!  I've asked them to create a card using the layout.  I think it will be really interesting to see the different interpretations!

Supplies for medallion card:
Stamps: SU! 'Frosted Medallions' & 'Birthday Blossoms' sets
CS: SU! Pool Party, Rich Razzleberry & Whisper White
Ink: SU! Pool Party, Rich Razzleberry & Bermuda Bay
Tools: SU! 1 3/4" & 2" circle punches
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Dimensionals


Supplies for floral birthday card:
Stamps: SU! 'Flower Shop', 'Petite Petals' & 'Happiest Birthday Wishes' sets, Stampendous 'Sending Wishes'
CS: SU! Melon Mambo, Pink Pirouette, Old Olive, Basic Black & Whisper White
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Tools: SU! 'Hexagons Dynamic' embossing folder, 'Pansy' & 'Petite Petals' punches, 'Stitched Shapes' Framelits die set, flower shaper tool & moulding mat, water spritzer bottle
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Basic Black taffeta ribbon, Dimensionals


Supplies for t-shirt birthday card:
Stamps: SU! 'Custom Tee' & 'Perfect Pairings' sets, Hero Arts 'Yummy Treats' set
CS: SU! Crumb Cake, Pool Party, Night of Navy & Whisper White

Patterned paper: Echo Park teal
Ink: SU! Night of Navy
Tools: SU! 'T-shirt Builder' Framelits die set
Embellishments & accessories: silver nailheads, SU! Dimensionals


 photo RoseRuth.gif

No comments:

01 09 10