Monday 23 January 2017

Cygnets Tag

My friend Jan and I both fell in love with the SU! 'Swan Lake' stamp set as soon as we saw it in the Spring/Summer catalogue.  I decided to use the set to make a fun tag to go on her carrier bag of new SU! goodies!

Not only did this give me the chance to play with a new stamp set but I also tried out my new SU! watercolour pencils.  I stamped the images onto watercolour paper using VersaFine Onyx Black ink and used the pencils and a water brush to add the colours to the images - I applied the dry pencil colours to parts of the images and then dragged the colours out with the water brush. For the water, I lightly scribbled the Pacific Point watercolour pencil around the stamped scene and then went over it with the water brush.  I went in again with the Pacific Point pencil and water brush to get a deeper colour underneath the plants and cygnets - or swanlets as I found myself calling them at first when I couldn't remember the proper name for baby swans!  I die cut the scene and a Melon Mambo mat using the 'Lots of Labels' die set, punched a hole in the tag and tied it to the bag handles using black and white baker's twine.


The SU! watercolour pencils were so lovely and easy to use.  When I first started stamping, many years ago now, I always used watercolour pencils to colour in my stamped images.  I haven't used them for years and I wasn't sure I'd still have them.  I went digging in my stash and I'm happy to say I found them so I'll use those alongside my SU! watercolour pencils.  I like watercolouring using inks and a water brush too but I think pencils are quicker and easier.  I like that you can get different strengths of colours depending on whether you lay down the colour with a light or heavy pressure when putting the pencil to the paper.  It's quite nice to rediscover and reuse a method you haven't used for a long time!

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Swan Lake' set
CS: SU! Melon Mambo, watercolour paper
Ink: VersaFine Onyx Black
Tools: SU! 'Lots of Labels' Framelits die set, SU! watercolour pencils, circle punch, water brush
Embellishments & accessories: SU! black & white baker's twine 


 photo RoseRuth.gif

No comments:

01 09 10