Thursday 14 May 2015

Glitter Pot Distress Ink Class Cards

Last Saturday I ran an all day Distress Inks class at the Glitter Pot.  Originally, I was going to be using the new Cosmic Shimmer Colour Cloud blending inks but due to a delay with their release the class became all about Distress Inks instead.

This first card combines some simple stencilling and stamping using Black Soot ink.  I used a Smoothie ink blending sponge to apply the ink through the 'Gradient' stencil onto white CS, I cut the panel to size, stamped the 'Daisy Striplet' image, cut that panel to size and mounted both panels onto a mat layer of black CS.   I punched five white daisies, inked the edges of the petals with Spun Sugar ink and stacked the layers together.  Using sponge daubers I applied some Mustard Seed, Wild Honey and Brushed Corduroy inks to a piece of white CS and I then punched out a 1/2" circle for the daisy centre.  I popped up the daisy onto a square of black CS to finish.


There's more stencilling on this card, but this time I applied two colours of ink (Wild Honey and Picked Raspberry) through the 'Scribbles' stencil with Smoothie ink blending sponges.  I just love how easy it is to stencil with the Smoothie egg sponges!  I think 'Scribbles' as a name for this stencil really doesn't do it justice - it looks just like an art deco rose design to me!  I cut the stencilled panel apart, stamped the sentiment and popped up the stencilled panels.  I completed the card with three paper roses and a gingham ribbon bow.


The wax paper resist technique is such fun so I just had to include that on the class!  I have a tutorial for this technique on my Tutorials page which can be found HERE.  One of the fab things about this technique is that you get two panels to play with so I made two cards to the same design but used different colours and sentiments.  The background of the 'just a note card' was made with Squeezed Lemonade and Tumbled Glass inks.  The background for the 'hello' card was made using Worn Lipstick and Spiced Marmalade inks.  The butterflies and the sentiments were cut using dies.


This next card combines another resist technique, emboss resist, with watercolouring.  I stamped the 'Daisy Striplet' image onto watercolour paper using VersaMark ink and embossed with white embossing powder.  I patted Broken China, Seedless Preserves and Dusty Concord inks onto a ceramic tile, spritzed the watercolour paper panel with water and using a waterbrush applied the inks as a wash over the panel.  I  patted the panel dry with a piece of kitchen roll - I didn't want to dry the piece with a heat tool as that would have melted the embossing powder I'd applied earlier.  I cut the panel apart, mounted the two pieces onto Dusty Concord Distress CS mat layers, stamped the sentiment and popped up the two panels.  Hmmm, I'm obviously liking popping up cut apart panels - I also did that on the stencilled Best Wishes card!  I punched two larger and two smaller daisies, stacked them together, popped the flower up and added an aqua pearl to the centre.  To complete the card I rounded the two right hand corners of the card.  


This last card with its vibrant colours and wrinkle distressing technique guaranteed very inky fingers!  I cut a panel of watercolour paper, patted Evergreen Bough ink all over a rectangular acrylic block, spritzed the block with water (liberally, but not so the block was dripping wet) and pressed the block firmly onto the watercolour paper panel.  The ink squidges out around the edges of the block so you get a lovely deckle edged effect.  I dried the panel with a heat tool, cut it to size and stamped a honeycomb background over the green panel with Iced Spruce ink.  I popped up the panel onto an A6 sized card base that I made from watercolour paper and stamped the sentiment.  I punched the flower from watercolour paper, spritzed it with water, scrunched it up a good few times, patted Festive Berries ink over the flower and spritzed it with water so that the ink wicked out and coloured the flower.  I dried the flower with a heat tool and popped it up over the black die cut flourish.  I added a large black gem to the centre of the flower to finish.


Here's a closer look at the wrinkle distressed flower.  I really like how the bright red pops against the bold green background!   



I had a great time making these cards for the class, it made me think I don't play with my Distress Inks enough!  They are so versatile and are really fun to experiment with.  I know you can achieve really grungy and vintage effects with the inks but that style isn't really my thing.  I hoped I showed that you can enjoy using these inks in various ways and that although your fingers end up very inky you can still make cards that have a clean design!  

Supplies for square daisy card:
Stamps: John Lockwood Creative Expressions 'Daisy Striplet' cling stamp
CS: Glitter Pot thick white, thin white & black CS
Ink: Ranger Tim Holtz Black Soot, Spun Sugar, Mustard Seed, Wild Honey & Brushed Corduroy Distress Inks
Tools: That Special Touch 'Gradient' 6" x 6" mask, Woodware Big 'Daisy' & 1/2" circle punches, sponge daubers
Embellishments & accessories: 3D foam pads


Supplies for stencilled Best Wishes card:
Stamps: Woodware 'Best Wishes' set
CS: Glitter Pot thick white CS
Ink: VersaFine Onyx Black, Ranger Tim Holtz Wild Honey & Picked Raspberry Distress Inks
Tools: Tim Holtz 'Scribbles' Layering Stencil
Embellishments & accessories: PaperMania Petal Elegance, Petal Posy rose flowers, Woodware black & white gingham ribbon, 3D foam tape


Supplies for wax paper resist just a note & hello cards:
Stamps: none
CS: Glitter Pot thick white & black CS, Core'dinations 'Montego Bay', Bazzill 'Flamingo', Ranger Glossy CS, Reynolds Cut-Rite wax paper
Ink: Ranger Tim Holtz Squeezed Lemonade, Tumbled Glass, Worn Lipstick & Spiced Marmalade Distress Inks
Tools: Spellbinders D-Lites 'Sentiments Five' die set, Memory Box 'Vivienne Butterfly' die, travel iron & ironing mat

Supplies for daisies Happy Birthday card:
Stamps: John Lockwood Creative Expressions 'Daisy Striplet' cling stamp, Woodware 'Happy Birthday' set
CS: Glitter Pot thick white CS & watercolour paper, Tim Holtz 'Dusty Concord' Distressed CS
Ink: VersaMark, Ranger Tim Holtz Broken China, Seedless Preserves & Dusty Concord Distress Inks
Tools: Woodware Big & Large 'Daisy' punches, Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper, heat tool, Ranger Mini Mister sprayer bottle, Zig Waterbrush
Embellishments & accessories: white embossing powder, aqua pearl, 3D foam tape 


Supplies for flower & flourish Thinking of You card:
Stamps: Personal Impressions 'Medium Everyday Messages' set, Kaisercraft Texture 'Honeycomb'
CS: Glitter Pot watercolour paper & black CS
Ink: VersaFine Onyx Black, Ranger Tim Holtz Evergreen Bough, Iced Spruce & Festive Berries Distress Inks
Tools: MFT Die-Namics 'Fancy Flourish' die, Woodware Super 'Flower' punch, heat tool, Ranger Mini Mister sprayer bottle
Embellishments & accessories: Doodlebug Beetle Black Jewels Assortment, 3D foam pads 


 photo RoseRuth.gif

No comments:

01 09 10