Wednesday 9 July 2014

Star Spinning In Circles Birthday Card For Hubby

This is the card I made for Owen, my wonderful hubby who is celebrating his birthday today.  I saw this fab spinning in circles card, made by Dawn Griffith, on Pinterest and I just had to give it a go!

My starting point was the patterned paper, I picked it up on my last visit to the local craft shop, the Glitter Pot, because it goes beautifully with the new SU! Lost Lagoon colour.  It's actually from a Christmas collection of papers but this plaid design is perfect for a masculine card I think.  The great thing about being guided by patterned paper is that it gets me to use colour combos that I wouldn't think of using myself!  I made a 5 3/4" square Cajun Craze card base and glued a panel of the plaid paper to the card front.  I cut a 5 1/2" square of Lost Lagoon CS, rounded the corners, cut out a large circle from the panel and added a strip of the plaid paper.  I cut a smaller Lost Lagoon circle and added the sentiment.  Using die cuts and punches I made my star spinner circle element and then I popped up the Lost Lagoon square, positioned the spinner and popped up the sentiment circle.

In the video Dawn uses just one penny to make the spinner but I followed Dawn's new instructions that she added to her blog post to sandwich a foam dot between two pennies to help the spinner move more quickly and smoothly.  To complete the front I added some stars punched from Champagne Glimmer Paper.  When I stood the card up to take the photo the star circle rolled to the bottom - the design looks more pleasing to me with the spinner at the side so I fixed it in place temporarily with some Blu Tak while I snapped the pic!  


Here's the inside and the envelope flap.


As I had some triangular pieces of paper left over from covering the envelope flap I adhered them to the front of the envelope and added a popped up name label.  I am very happy to say Owen loves the card and I've caught him having a spin a few times LOL!


Supplies:
Stamps: 'Wonderful Day' from Hero Arts, inside sentiment from Hero Arts 'Yummy Treats' clear set
CS: SU! Cajun Craze, Lost Lagoon & Whisper White
Patterned paper: My Mind's Eye Mistletoe Magic 'Countdown'
Ink: SU! Cajun Craze
Tools: Circle Nestabilities dies, circle punches, Sizzix 'Stars' Framelits die, Woodware star punch, Spellbinder's 'Grommet Tags' dies
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Cajun Craze Candy Dot, gold brads, 3D foam pads 




 photo RoseRuth.gif
 




1 comment:

Deborah Frings said...

This is fantastic! I love the colours you've used - the plaid really does go well with both the Lost Lagoon and Cajun Craze. The glimmer of the stars is just fab. As always you've done a fabulous job on the inside and envelope too.

01 09 10