Monday 28 October 2013

Flowers For You Handbag Pocket Card - CAS Colours & Sketches Sketch #48

Over the weekend I visited Jacqueline's, Louise's, and Patricia's blogs to see the Christmas cards they'd made for this week's 52 {C}CT challenge.  On each visit I came across the fab cards they'd made using the wonderful sketch that forms the current challenge at CAS Colours & Sketches.  As soon as I saw it I loved it and knew I'd have to take part in the challenge.  I thought if you rotate the layout it looks like a handbag - well, it does to me anyway!


So that's what I did - I rotated the sketch and made a 4 1/4" square handbag shaped pocket card.  I cut Wild Wasabi CS to measure 4 1/4" x 10 1/2" and scored at 4 1/4", 5 1/4" and 6 1/4".  I cut a 4 1/4" circle of patterned paper, folded and scored it in half, added ribbon as a bag handle and glued it to the back of the card.  I then stamped the 'For You' flowers stamp twice, once in Wild Wasabi and the second time in Primrose Petals.  I punched out the image, matted onto an Island Indigo scalloped circle, popped that up onto a larger Wasabi scalloped circle and added that to a Primrose Petals plain circle.  I fussy cut the flower heads and popped them up.  I used self adhesive magnetic snap closures  to keep the flap closed. 


Here's a side view of the card. 


Here's the card opened.  The strip of patterned paper is only taped at the bottom and sides so it forms a pocket so a gift card or money can be included with the card.


After I'd finished the card I realised I hadn't got an envelope the right size for the card to fit into.  My trusty Simply Scored was already out on the desk so I grabbed the Diagonal Plate and whipped up a 4 3/4" square envelope made with Primrose Petals CS.  I added a patterned paper strip and a stamped and punched label to the front.  Here's the card and envelope together, quite cheery I think!  Thanks so much to Jacqueline, Louise and Patricia for their fab inspiration, I had a very happy time putting this card together!


Supplies:
Stamps:  SU! 'Punch Bunch' & 'Four Frames' sets
CS: SU! Wild Wasabi, Primrose Petals, Island Indigo & Whisper White

Patterned paper:  My Mind's Eye Mary Mary 'Beautiful' 
Ink: SU! Wild Wasabi & Primrose Petals
Tools: SU! Simply Scored & Diagonal Plate, SU! plain & scalloped circle punches, SU! Decorative Label punch, EK Success Circle Scissor Pro
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Wild Wasabi stitched ribbon, Basic Grey magnetic snap closures, SU! Dimensionals


 photo DragonflyRuth.gif

5 comments:

karen h said...

Love your take on the sketch - such a great way to use it! Thanks for joining us at CAS Colours & Sketches Challenge!

Patricia Hays said...

Ruth, this is incredibly clever and super adorable! The bright, happy colors make this such a cheery card! I'm so glad you were able to play along with us this week at CAS - Colours and Sketches. I hope you'll join us again soon! :)

Deborah Frings said...

Love your take on the sketch - wish I thought of it !! The bag is so pretty and I love that opens to reveal a gift! Great work!

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Hi Ruth, congrats on your win at Colours and Sketches - love your bag - so cool!

kelly said...

what a cool idea for a gift card holder/card, the packaging will be just as cherished as the gift.
Another fab idea Ruth!!
Love Kelly xx

01 09 10