Tuesday 9 July 2013

Two Paper Pieced Hot Air Balloon Cards

I really love the big hot air balloon in the Woodware Patch a Flight stamp set, it's great fun to paper piece with bold bright colours!  I'd borrowed the stamp set from my sweet friend Lesley but I've had to get my own set now!  I made this card a few days ago - quite a bright and happy number I think!

I layered the clouds paper onto a Melon Mambo mat, stamped the balloon image, added Melon Mambo and Daffodil Delight ribbons and attached the panel to a black A6 card base.  I inked a mesh stamp with Baked Brown Sugar ink, stamped onto the same colour CS, stamped the balloon basket over the top, fussy cut it and glued it on top of the image I'd stamped onto the patterned paper.  I paper pieced the balloon, added stamped and punched flowers to the yellow panel, added silver pearls to the cables and popped the balloon up.  A stamped sentiment and a few buttons completed the card front.


I cut a white panel for inside the card, stamped the sentiment and fussy cut some clouds from the patterned paper.  For the envelope flap I punched a circle of the clouds paper, layered onto a black circle and added some flowers.

 

After I'd photographed the card I left it out on the cabinet for a while and my hubby Owen saw it and said he loved the hot air balloon.  As his birthday was coming up I made a mental note to use the balloon for his card - so this second card is the one I gave to Owen today for his birthday.  I made a shadow box card and the balloon is on a wobble spring for a touch of extra fun!  This shadow box card fits into a 6" square envelope.  I cut two pieces of Real Red  5 3/4" square CS and scored both pieces on both sides at 1/2" and 1" to form the shadow box shape.  Petite Oval Nestie dies were used to cut the aperture and frame.  I added a Soft Sky CS panel to the back and added stamped and fussy cut clouds.  I fussy cut the balloon, added silver pearls to the cables, paper pieced the balloon with Lucky Limeade, Daffodil Delight, Pacific Point and Real Red panels and mounted the balloon with a wobble spring.  I attached more clouds to the front along with a sentiment label.


I glued a white panel to the back of the card, stamped clouds in Soft Sky ink, stamped a sentiment in black over the top and cut out the ovals using Nestie dies.  I covered the flap of the envelope with some cheery yellow patterned paper.  I'm glad to say Owen is very happy with his card!



Supplies for card one:
Stamps: Woodware 'Patch a Flight' set, SU! 'Happiest Birthday Wishes' set, Hero Arts 'Fabulous Birthday' & 'Large Delicate Woven Fabric'
CS: SU! Basic Black, Melon Mambo, Bermuda Bay, Daffodil Delight, Real Red, Baked Brown Sugar & Whisper White

Patterned paper:  Doodlebug Flower Box 'Garden Garland'
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black,  SU! Baked Brown Sugar, Bermuda Bay, Real Red & Melon Mambo

Tools: SU! Itty Bitty flower punch, circle punches 
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Melon Mambo & Daffodil Delight ribbons, SU! buttons, silver pearls, Dimensionals

Supplies for card two:
Stamps: Woodware 'Patch a Flight' set, Hero Arts 'Clouds' background & 'Large Delicate Woven Fabric' stamps, Hero Arts 'Sending you Love' & 'Yummy Treats' clear sets
CS: SU! Real Red, Soft Sky, Lucky Limeade, Daffodil Delight, Pacific Point, Baked Brown Sugar, Basic Black & Whisper White
Patterned paper: SU! Sunshine & Sprinkles DSP
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, SU! Soft Sky
Tools: Petite Oval Nestabilities dies, Hero Arts Small Tag Frame die, SU! Simply Scored, paper piercer
Embellishments & accessories: silver pearls, SU! Daffodil Delight brads, Action Wobble Spring, Dimensionals


 photo ruthpinkhearts.gif 

3 comments:

Danielle Vincent said...

Oh wow - I love your shadow box card Ruth. The clouds are really fun too. Gonna have to try that myself now that I'm finally branching into fun folds a bit :o) Thanks for the fabulous inspiration.

Pia S said...

These cards look fantastic, Ruth! I love the colors and papers you've used for the hot air balloons and the stitchy look of the clouds - such colorful and cheerful cards!

kelly said...

wow, these are amazing!!! Two cards made with the same stamp that look completely different!!
Great job
Kelly and Grace xx

01 09 10