Thursday 6 June 2013

Planes 50th Birthday Shadow Box Card

I went to my sweet friend Lesley's home for a stamping afternoon recently because she wanted to learn how to make shadow box cards.  She made a plane birthday one for her son as he flies planes.  It turned out wonderfully and I asked to borrow her stamp set so I could have a go myself.  Then a bit later on our friends Debs and Mike mentioned that Brian, a friend of theirs, was soon to be celebrating his 50th birthday.  I know Brian likes planes so I offered to make a plane themed card for them to give to him.  I made Mike this hot air balloons shadow box card for his birthday last month and I said "how about if I made a card for Brian with the same design but with planes instead?" and the commission was given and accepted!  Many thanks Lesley for the loan of the stamp set!

I made the shadow box card base from Old Olive CS and attached a stamped clouds background to the back panel.  I used oval dies to cut the aperture and frame for the card front.  I then stamped planes onto different brightly coloured CS and got busy fussy cutting and assembling.  I heat embossed the nose cones with black embossing powder to add some shine and finished off with a tiny silver pearl on the propeller - a fab finishing touch tip I got from Lesley!  I stamped some birds on the clouds, assembled the shadow box card and popped up the planes.  I added some die cut clouds and popped up a stamped and die cut sentiment label. 


Here's the back and the envelope flap.  I hope Brian the birthday boy enjoys this fun card - and I hope Debs and Mike like it too!  I had a blast putting it together - although at first I couldn't get the 'Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines' song out of my head, in the later stages of making the card the music from '633 Squadron' took over LOL!


Supplies:
Stamps: Woodware 'Patch a Flight' clear set, Hero Arts 'Clouds' background stamp, Hobby Arts 'Flock of Birds', SU! 'Memorable Moments' & 'Wacky Wishes' sets
CS: SU! Old Olive, Daffodil Delight, Real Red, Pacific Point & Whisper White
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, SU! Bashful Blue, Real Red & Pacific Point, VersaMark marker pen
Tools: Petite Oval Nestabilities dies, Memory Box 'Puffy Clouds' die, various sized circle punches, SU! Simply Scored, heat tool, Stamp-a-ma-jig, sponge dauber
Embellishments & accessories: SU! black embossing powder, tiny silver pearls, 3D foam tape & Dimensionals


 photo ruthrainbow2.gif

1 comment:

Mynn xx said...

This is so COOL, Ruth! LOVE the bright colors and those planes are so fun! This is fabulous! :)

01 09 10