Thursday 11 April 2013

April 2013 Card Group Projects

It was our April card group meeting this afternoon, a week later than planned 'cos I had to cancel it last week due to me being poorly.  I think it was worth the wait!  I came home with lots of lovely hand made birthday cards.  We each make everyone a birthday card and it's a highlight of a meeting to look at all the creations - they're all so different!  It's Lesley's birthday later on in April so we had a double dose of cards to look at today!

We used the SU! Bordering on Romance stamp set last month and it was a big hit so I thought we'd use it again this time but using the stained glass technique to colour in the image.  The flower spray was inked with VersaMark, stamped onto vellum CS, heat embossed with white embossing powder and then coloured on the reverse side of the vellum with markers.  I cut out the vellum plus a piece of Whisper White CS the same size with a square Nestie die.  I also cut Tempting Turquoise and Always Artichoke mat squares.  As vellum is tricky to adhere without adhesive showing I attached it with tiny silver brads.

The card base is 5 1/4" square and I cut a tad off the right hand side because I wanted the card front to have a fancy edge.  I stamped the dotty bracket border in Pacific Point ink, used an Edgelits die to cut the bracket shape and then embossed with the matching embossing folder.  If you emboss before cutting you flatten and smoosh the embossing so it's important to die cut the border before you emboss.  I glued a strip of Pacific Point CS inside the card and also added a narrow Always Artichoke strip.  I stamped the sentiment, cut it out with a Fishtail Flag die, cut another flag from Always Artichoke CS, layered the two banners and added silver nailheads.  I then popped the image square up on the card front.

 
Here's a close up of the image panel.


Onto card two which pairs the Cloudy Day embossing folder with the Up, Up and Away set - a perfect partnership I think!  The card base is A6 sized made from Baja Breeze CS.  I stamped the balloons with Baja Breeze, Riding Hood Red and Gumball Green inks and fussy cut them out.  I embossed the white panel with the clouds, added the Gumball Green starry patterned paper and a Riding Hood Red strip cut with an Edgelits die.  I stamped the sentiment, fussy cut it out and popped the banner up.  I laid the balloons down on the embossed panel to get an idea of where I wanted them placed and then made sure I stamped the black baskets on a smooth piece of the embossed panel - I didn't want to stamp baskets onto any of the bumpy embossed clouds.  I then stamped the birds - again avoiding stamping on a bumpy bit - and I popped up the balloons. 


Card three is a nice and easy butterflies card featuring dry embossing, punching and pretty details.  I took some SU! only cards with me to have on display when I held an SU! workshop for my card group ladies. One of the cards I took was a butterfly squares card that I originally made at one of Joanne's make and take meetings.  It was very popular, everyone loved it so I thought that would be a good choice for the ladies to make at card group! 

The A6 card base was made with Crumb Cake CS.  The Very Vanilla panel was partially embossed with the gorgeous Fancy Fan folder and I stamped the sentiment in Rose Red ink.  Before gluing the vanilla panel to the card front I added a strip of Rose Red seam binding ribbon.  I punched three Bitty Butterflies from a strip of vanilla CS and then punched out the negatives using the Postage Stamp punch.  Each vanilla butterfly square was glued to a 1 3/8" coloured CS punched square - the colours are Baja Breeze, Rose Red and Crumb Cake.  I added rhinestones to the butterfly bodies and popped up each square to finish off the card.


What a fab way to spend an afternoon, crafting and laughing with friends - oh, and there were cakes too - thanks Lesley!

Supplies for flowery birthday card:
Stamps: SU! 'Bordering on Romance' & 'Curly Cute' sets
CS: PaperMania square white card blank, SU! Tempting Turquoise, Always Artichoke, Pacific Point & Whisper White, white vellum CS
Ink: VersaMark, SU! Pacific Point, SU! Tempting Turquoise, Always Artichoke & Pacific Point markers
Tools: SU! Adorning Accents Edgelits die & matching embossing folder, square Nestabilities dies, MFT Fishtail Flags Stax die

Embellishments & accessories: white embossing powder, tiny silver brads, silver nailheads, 3D foam tape

Supplies for hot air balloons birthday card:
Stamps: SU! 'Up, Up & Away' & 'Itty Bitty Banners' sets
CS: SU! Baja Breeze, Riding Hood Red & Whisper White

Patterned paper: SU! Snow Festival DSP
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, SU! Baja Breeze, Riding Hood Red & Gumball Green
Tools: SU! Cloudy Day embossing folder, Finishing Touches Edgelits die, Stamp-a-ma-jig
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Dimensionals

 
Supplies for butterflies especially for you card:
Stamps: SU! 'Made for You' set
CS: SU! Crumb Cake, Baja Breeze, Rose Red & Very Vanilla
Ink: SU! Rose Red
Tools: SU! Bitty Butterfly, Postage Stamp & 1 3/8" square punches
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Rose Red seam binding ribbon, Rhinestone Jewels, Dimensionals


 photo ButterflyFlutterRuth.gif

3 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

What gorgeous cards - you obviously had lots of fun. I love the first card on the vellum - so pretty!

sandie said...

Oh how I would love to join you! Such beautiful cards x

Pia S said...

You did all these cards in one afternoon? I think my record is a card made within 3 hours! LOL.
These are such lovely examples of the CAS style. I do like hot air balloons and butterflies at the moment - so great choice for these cards, but I'm also impressed by your first card. That scalloped border - what a great difference such a small detail makes!

01 09 10