Thursday 1 November 2012

November 2012 Card Group Projects

We had our November card group meeting this afternoon, another fun filled afternoon!  I designed three cards and deliberately made one quick and easy so I could also include a simple gift bag.  First up is a stocking card made with a Sizzix die and matching embossing folder.  The card is 5 1/4" square and I first embossed the side of the card with a lace border embossing folder.  I cut the stocking using Core'dinations CS, embossed the shapes, scuffed the embossing and popped the stocking up.  I popped up die cut holly with red nailheads for berries.  I wasn't happy with the balance of the design at this point so I tried various options and finally chose to add two fishtail flag banners and a punched snowflake.


Here's the inside of the card.


Next is this card made with the fab SU! Owl Occasions set, I just adore this owl and his accessories!  I based my design on the card shown on page 13 of the SU! Autumn/Winter catalogue.  The A6 card base is Real Red and I stamped Crumb Cake CS with a woodgrain stamp using Crumb Cake ink and inked the edges with Soft Suede ink.  I stamped the branch in Espresso ink and the owl in Soft Suede ink onto Whisper White CS.  I cut the label shape, trimmed one side off and inked the edges with Soft Suede ink.  I glued the label to the woodgrain panel, added the Gumball Green ribbon and glued the panel to the card front.  I stamped the sentiment in Real Red ink on Crumb Cake CS, cut it out with the Modern Label punch, sponged the edges with Soft Suede ink and glued it to the label shape.  I then stamped, cut out and popped up a stocking and Santa hat.


Inside I stamped a sentiment and added a sweet holly sprig.


This is the third card - very simple but that sparkly silver landscape against the black looks so dramatic and stylish I think!  I made a black side opening A6 card but cut a bit off the side to accommodate the length of the Country Landscape die.  I used the gorgeous SU! Silver Shimmer Paper to cut the shape and glued it to the bottom of the card.  I stamped the sentiment, punched it out with the XL Oval punch and popped up a small punched star.  So quick and simple!


Here's the inside with a meaningful sentiment and another star.  As this card doesn't have 'Christmas' on it I think this would be good to send to people of faiths who celebrate in some way but don't actually celebrate 'Christmas'. 


Lastly, here is the Island Indigo tag bag we made.  Huge thanks to my friend Kelly for letting me know how to make these.  They are so simple to put together using the SU! Two Tags die!  I cut two tags and glued the bottoms together.  Next I cut a piece of CS 6 3/4" x 2 3/4" and scored at 1/2" on both long sides and at 2" on both short sides.  I cut slits to form tabs and assembled the box shape and then glued it to the joined two tags.  For the handle I cut a piece of CS measuring 8 1/2" x 1/2" and threaded it through both slits so it goes down to the bottom of the bag.  I then die cut the snowflakes from Whisper White and Brushed Silver CS and attached them to both sides of the handle with a brad.  I used oval punches to mat and layer the sentiment.  To finish off the bag I punched two 1/2" circle shapes and glued them inside to cover up the brad prongs.  You don't want someone reaching in the bag to get their goodies and getting attacked by a brad prong!


Here's a more angled view. After I'd put it together I wondered how it would look if the two tag shapes were dry embossed before assembling.  I took a few embossing folders with me to card group and tried it out when I demoed this box - it looks great!


Supplies for stocking card:
Stamps: Hero Arts 'Holiday Cheer' clear set, SU! 'Snowflakes' set
CS: PaperMania square white card blank, SU! Always Artichoke & Whisper White, SU! Cherry Cobbler Core'dinations CS, Amazon Core'dinations CS
Ink: Memento Bamboo Leaves, SU! Cherry Cobbler
Tools: Sizzix Stocking Bigz die & matching embossing folder, Darice Lace border embossing folder,  Sizzix Holly & Berries Sizzlits die, MFT Fishtail Flags Stax dies, XCut snowflake punch, sanding block
Embellishments & accessories: red nailheads, rhinestone jewel, 3d foam tape


Supplies for owl card:
Stamps: SU! 'Owl Occasions' set, Hero Arts Woodgrain DesignBlock stamp, Hero Arts 'Holiday Cheer' clear set
CS: SU! Real Red, Crumb Cake & Whisper White
Ink: SU! Crumb Cake, Early Espresso, Soft Suede, Real Red & Gumball Green
Tools: SU! Label Framelits die, SU! Modern Label punch
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Gumball Green stitched satin ribbon, 3D foam pads


Supplies for landscape card:
Stamps: SU! Greetings of the Season set,  Penny Black 'Beautiful Season' stamp
CS: SU! Basic Black, Whisper White, Silver Glimmer Paper
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Tools: Memory Box Country Landscape die, SU! XL Oval punch, Woodware star punch
Embellishments & accessories: 3D foam pad


Supplies for gift bag:
Stamps:  SU! Best Yet set
CS: SU! Island Indigo, Whisper White, Brushed Silver
Ink:  SU! Island Indigo
Tools: SU! Two Tags die, Snow Flurry die, oval & scalloped oval punches, 1/2" circle punch, Simply Scored, paper piercer
Embellishments & accessories: silver brads


Photobucket

1 comment:

Patty Gorka said...

These are wonderful cards! I like the banners on your first card and the silver one is just stunning! Love the Christmas owl, he's perfect with the woodgrain stamp and the tag back is awesome- how very creative to make that with tags!

01 09 10