Saturday 3 November 2012

Gilding & Gold Glitz Tree Merry Christmas Card - 52 {C}CT Oct Sketch Challenge

We're kicking off November at 52 {C}CT with this fabulous sketch.


I haven't worked with my gilding flakes for a while and I decided to use those and I thought they would work well with the tree image - plus the tree would be a good image for the oval shape.  So I started off by flaking the tree with Morris Dance flakes and I cut out the oval using a Petite Oval Nestie die.  I inked the edges of the white oval with Pool Party ink.  As well as gilding I had a fancy for some gold glitz so I matted the oval onto a larger oval of Champagne Glimmer paper. 

The oval was too large for an A6 size card so I made a 5" x 7" card.  I cut a panel of Pool Party CS, embossed that with a Texturz plate, brayered Pool Party ink on top and inked the edges with Pool Party ink.  For the strip part of the sketch I opted for the Champagne Glimmer paper with some ribbon and a bow.  I think it was around about now that this glitzy number became an over the top 'what WAS I thinking of?! card LOL!   I really wish now I'd have toned things down but I didn't have enough time to make another card in time for the challenge on Saturday.  I'm determined to make another card using this sketch that I'll be much happier with - and that does this great sketch justice!

I flaked the sentiment also, topped the tree with punched stars and added larger stars to the left of the tree.  I took liberties with the layout and placed my row of 3 element at the bottom right rather than at the top.  I punched 3 tiny stars from the glitzy gold CS and glued them flat.  The sentiment and the tree stars are all popped up.  The gold star at the top of the tree is not THAT wonky in real life by the way LOL!


Here's a closer look at the lovely gilding flakes.  What a gorgeous mix of colours - where did it all go wrong?!


Even though I'm really not liking this card by now, (mild understatement!) I've ploughed on and finished off by working on the inside and envelope. 



Really, if I'd made this card before Friday I'd have put it aside (into the bin!) and started again but as I didn't have time, this is what you're stuck with for the time being!  Just look at it as inspiration for what NOT to do LOL!  I really think a 'less is more', CAS style is required for my next attempt - stay tuned, I'll be back with another try!  Hopefully, those of you who enter the challenge this week will make beautiful creations that you are thoroughly delighted with!  * sigh *

EDITED TO ADD: A card that I'm happy with has been made, yay!  The post for that card is HERE.

Supplies:
Stamps: Hero Arts 'Branch & Flourish Tree', 'Merry Christmas' from SU! Season of Joy set, inside sentiment by Inkadinkado
CS: PaperMania white card blank, SU! Pool Party, Whisper White & Champagne Glimmer Paper
Ink: SU! Pool Party

Tools: Petite Oval Nestabilities dies, star dies & punches, circle punch, Sizzix Ivy Flourishes Texturz Plate, brayer, sponge dauber
Embellishments & accessories: IndigoBlu Morris Dance gilding flakes, FlitterGlu & scoochy, SU! Pool Party ruffled ribbon, 3D foam pads


Photobucket

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Ruth - I think your card is gorgeous, to throw this in the bin would be a crime! - Jacqueline xx

Mynn xx said...

This is just AMAZING!!! DO NOT THROW THIS AWAY. SEND IT TO ME. IT IS GORGEOUS!

01 09 10