Monday 27 August 2012

Snowflake Warm Wishes Window Gatefold Card

Deb, who is on the Design Team with me at the Simply Stampin'  challenge blog, made a beautiful window gatefold card for one of our colour challenges back in March.  I loved her fabulous card and was chuffed to bits to receive the card in person for my birthday in April.  I CASEd her card a while ago but have just come across the photos and realised I hadn't posted it to my blog.

Having the card in front of me meant I could scrutinise it to see how it was put together.  Deb had joined two separate pieces of CS together to make the card base but I decided to try it using just one piece of CS.  It worked out fine but the card is less wide than a usual A6 card - the finished card turns out to be 3 3/4" wide as opposed to the standard 4 1/8" width of an A6 card.  I started off with a piece of Cherry Cobbler CS cut to 11 1/4" x 5 7/8".  I scored at 1 7/8", 3 3/4", 7 1/2" and 9 3/8" to make the gatefold card base.  After attaching the patterned paper panels I very carefully punched two scalloped circles out to form the window.  You need the scalloped circle to line up when the card is closed so taking a bit of time and care at this stage was worth the effort as my circle lined up very nicely!

I die cut a snowflake, added a brad and attached it to a scalloped circle.  I popped up the scalloped circle so it nestles within the window.  I then made a belly band to slide over the card to keep it closed.




 This photo of the card with the belly band removed better shows how the card is put together as you can see the scoring and the scalloped circle punched out areas.  You will also see I stamped a snowflake border and a sentiment on a white panel.


I decided that come Christmas I would like to write my message on the back of the card which meant cutting another white panel for the back.  I stamped another snowflake border and yet another sentiment - 3 on one card!  A snowflake circle element on the envelope flap finished the card off.


I love this style of card and I have made a mental note to make a non Christmas version soon - hmmm, featuring a paper rosette maybe.  The list of cards I want to make is growing ever longer though so I don't know when I'll get round to it!   I loved making this one - thanks so much to Deb, not only for the beautiful card but for the fabulous inspiration too!

Supplies:
Stamps: Hero Arts Warm Wishes, Hero Arts Winter's Butterfly clear set, Stampendous Christmas Wishes clear set
CS: SU! Cherry Cobbler  & Whisper White, Core'dinations Broken China

Patterned paper: old Basic Grey Christmas paper
Ink: SU! Cherry Cobbler, Broken China Distress Ink

Tools: SU! 2 3/8" scalloped circle punch, Sizzix Snowflake #23 Sizzlits die, Petite Oval Nestabilities dies, 1 3/4" & 2" circle punches
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Buid a Brad kit, 3d foam pads


Photobucket

2 comments:

An Occasional Genius said...

What a lovely card Ruth, can see why you're adding a non Christmas version to your list! x

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, thanks for your lovely comments Ruth! I love the card and how you have made the centre scallop. The brad in the middle is so pretty. Deb x

01 09 10