Saturday 28 July 2012

Telescoping Circles Snowman Card - 52 {C}CT July Embellishment Challenge

This week at the 52 {C}CT blog we have an embellishment challenge for you and the embellishment is brads.


 I chose to make a telescoping circles card because brads are important to the 'mechanics' of this style of card - plus a snowman telescoping snowman card is just so much fun to make!  I also incorporated a decorative brad - the snowflake on his hat is a ribbon brad.

Barb Mullikin has a video tutorial for a telescoping circles card on this post if you'd like to check that out.  The fab snowman idea came from Becky Roberts at her Inking Idaho blog and her written tutorial can be found here on this post.  I made this card for my hubby last Christmas and I've kept to the same design more or less - although I haven't bothered with the twiggy arms this time, they're a tad too spindly and delicate!

I've used plain and scalloped Nestability dies for the snowman circles.  The hat was made using a square Nestie die shape (I trimmed it to a rectangle and rounded the top corners) plus a Spellbinder's Labels Trio die for the brim.  The nose was snipped from an SU! Petite Pennants punched shape.  The eyes are 1/4" circles and the smile was made with a handheld 1/16" circle punch.  The buttons (from the SU! Button, Button set) were punched with an 1/2" circle punch. I sponged each white circle with Bashful Blue ink and sponged rosy cheeks on the face.  I used turquoise gingham ribbon threaded through a ribbon brad to dress up his hat and to make a ribbon pull.  I added a knot of ribbon to the snowflake brad, popped up the nose and stamped the snowflakes and sentiment on the bottom circle to finish off the front.

Here he is telescoped.

  
And here he is opened out.


I covered the brad prongs up at the back to make things neater - and it's also safer if the card is to be given to a little one!  I glued a white scalloped circle to the back of the black one and that's where I will write my message.  I stamped snowflakes and then the sentiment over the top and sponged the edges.


More snowflakes were stamped on the envelope flap, I added the charming 'Snowmen fall from heaven unassembled'  saying and sponged the edges of the flap to finish off.  I hope you'll play along with our brad challenge this week - don't forget to check out the fab cards from the other DT members!

 

Supplies:
Stamps: Hero Arts 'Think of Christmas',  PSX 'Snowflake Medley', Stampendous 'Heavenly Snowmen', SU! 'Button, Button' set, Hero Arts 'Very Merry Christmas' clear set
CS: SU! Basic Black, Whisper White, Pumpkin Pie & Tempting Turquoise
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, SU! Bashful Blue, Pretty in Pink, & Cajun Craze, white gel pen
Tools: Plain & scalloped circle Nestabilities dies, square Nestability die, Spellbinder's Labels Trio die, SU! Petite Pennants punch, corner rounder punch, 1/16", 1/4" & 1/2" circle punches, paper piercer, sponge daubers
Embellishments & accessories: silver brads, turquoise gingham ribbon, Woodware snowflake ribbon brad, 3d foam pads



Photobucket

6 comments:

Mynn xx said...

Oh, it's amazing, Ruth! SO SORRY not to be commenting as much--down to the wire on my sis's wedding! ;) LOVE these type of cards but have never made one. You are so inspirational and I am so glad to have you on our team at 52CCT! :)

Rocky said...

He's great, what a fab idea. I shall have to try one of these.

Danielle Vincent said...

Oh Ruth this is just wayyyyy tooooo cuuuuute! Love your telescoping snowman! Thanks for the link to the instructions - I really want to try this sometime.

kelly said...

You are SO clever, what a cute little christmas card in fact I think it's more of an ornament, you could make one for each end of a fireplace!!!
Kelly xx

Laura said...

This is amazing Ruth! I agree with Kelly, you are so clever. These would be perfect Christmas gifts!
Laura xx

Karen Aicken said...

This is SUCH a fun idea! Thanks so much for sharing.
Cheers, Karen

01 09 10