Friday 1 June 2012

Sparkly Butterfly Happy Birthday Card

I made this card using a technique I learned many years ago - using embossing paste with a stencil.  It seems that stencils and pastes have become trendy again as I'm seeing the supplies in the shops!  A while ago there was a demo day at the Glitter Pot and Alex had made some fab cards using the paste and stencils and it made me want to try the technique again.  I haven't kept my brass stencils but I knew I still had some paste somewhere in my stash.  I came home from the Glitter Pot with a couple of new stencils - obviously, the gorgeous butterfly stencil was a 'must buy' for me! 

I taped the stencil just at the top to a piece of black CS - that way you get a hinge to lift up the CS after you've applied the paste.  I spread translucent embossing paste through the stencil, sprinkled Dazzling Diamonds all over the design and carefully lifted off the stencil.  I rinsed off the stencil straight away to remove the paste and glitter, gave it a wash in warm soapy water and left it to dry.  I then placed my glittered panel on a sunny windowsill and waited impatiently for it to dry.  Then I cut the panel to the size I wanted,  mounted it to a white mat, wrapped ribbon around and tied on a sentiment tag.  I mounted the panel to a black square card base.  I added some more sparkle by way of a gem as the dot over the i in 'Birthday' on the tag and then I added more gems to the ribbon.


Some simple monochrome stamping finished off the inside and envelope. 


Supplies:
Stamps: 'Happy Birthday' from SU! Elementary Elegance set, Hero Arts 3 Butterflies stamp & die combo set, inside sentiment from Hero Arts Yummy Treats clear set
CS: SU! Basic Black & Whisper White
 Ink: SU! Memento Tuxedo Black
Tools: Imagination Crafts 'Butterfly Delight' stencil template, circle punches
Embellishments & accessories: Dreamweaver translucent embossing paste, SU! white organza ribbon, white baker's twine, Dazzling Diamonds, Rhinestone Jewels



Photobucket

2 comments:

kelly said...

gorgeous!!! Love all that sparkle, a girl can never have too much if you ask me!!!
Kelly xx

Mynn xx said...

OH MY WORD. This is amazing!!! I don't have stencils because I've never know what to do with them! This is PINNED, girl, so I can go and buy some and try this! FABULOUS!!!!!

01 09 10