Sunday 29 January 2012

Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub

While on Pinterest a while back I came across a recipe for a homemade lemon sugar hand scrub and decided I'd have a go at making some.  It's so easy to make, Stephanie gives the recipe and instructions on her blog post here

After I'd made it I must admit I found it a bit too oily for my liking.  So I scooped it all out of the jar, discarded about half of the mix and then I added more sugar and stirred in some Vaseline.  I will try using half olive oil and half Vaseline for the next batch I make up.  I also added a few drops of  lemon essential oil and some lemon zest.  Once I was happy with the texture and consistency I placed the mix back in the jar.   I've been using it for the past couple of  weeks and I really like it.  It's a lovely pampering treat if I get dry, chapped hands from being out in the cold or have had my hands immersed in water a lot.  It's perfect to use after I've got inky too!

I plan on making more scrub to give as gifts and I wanted to be able to decorate the jars.  I realised the fruit slice from the SU! Tart and Tangy set would be the perfect thing but I didn't buy that set when it was available.  So I had a look at eBay and picked up a used Tart and Tangy set for under £5 - marvellous!  I can now decorate my scrub jars!  I stamped my 3 slices with Memento Dandelion ink, punched them out with a 1 1/4" circle punch and added Dazzling Diamonds to the edges.  I attached the slices to a Crumb Cake circle which I'd stamped with the Victorian Lace background stamp in Soft Suede ink - popping 2 slices up.  I layered the Crumb Cake circle onto a larger Barely Banana circle.


Supplies:
Stamps: SU! Tart & Tangy set, SU! Victorian Lace background stamp
CS: SU! Barely Banana, Crumb Cake & Whisper White
Ink: Memento Dandelion, SU! Soft Suede
Tools: SU! 1 1/4" circle punch, circle Nestie dies
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Dazzling Diamonds, Dimensionals



Photobucket

1 comment:

Becky said...

Such a fantastic idea Ruth, and you are right, that stamp set is perfect for it. Bx

01 09 10