Thursday 20 October 2011

Poinsettia & Holly Inky Card

I've been playing with my distress inks and a water mister again so I've had very inky fingers!  I started off with a Riding Hood Red A6 card base.  I patted Wild Honey, Peeled Paint and Fired Brick inks on my heat resistant craft mat, misted with water and then smooshed a piece of Ranger manila CS through the inky mess.  I blasted with my heat gun to dry the panel, trimmed it to size, inked the edges and then stamped the music background.  Out came my favourite Fabulous Flourish stamp, I inked it with VersaMark ink and heat embossed it with Zing Brown Sugar embossing powder.  Some spritzing with gold Perfect Pearls mist added some seasonal shimmer.

I'm puzzled as to why there doesn't seem to be a vanilla embossing powder for sale.  When I decided I needed a vanilla powder I just couldn't find one out there.  I followed a recommendation on Splitcoast Stampers to try the Zing Brown Sugar one so I went for that but I think it's a little more brown than vanilla.  I like it but I'd still like to find a creamy vanilla one - Stampin' Up! need to add a Very Vanilla powder to their range!

I stamped the poinsettia on three different colours of red CS, cut the flower out in layers, inked the edges and joined the layers together with a sparkly gold brad. I then punched some holly leaves, inked the edges and added red pearls for berries. The poinsettia layers are all popped up.


That fab flourish made an appearance inside the card along with a gorgeous retro Merry Christmas sentiment.  I stamped the flourish and inked the edges of the vanilla panel with Crumb Cake ink.  I stamped the poinsettia on the envelope flap 3 times with Riding Hood Red ink to finish off.


Supplies:
Stamps: Hero Arts Fabulous Flourish & Music Background stamps, Creative Expressions Poinsettia stamp, 'Merry Christmas' from SU! Four the Holidays set
CS: SU! Riding Hood Red & Very Vanilla CS, Ranger manila CS, Core'dinations Barn Door, Cranberry & Fired Brick CS
Ink: Tim Holtz Wild Honey, Peeled Paint, Fired Brick & Brushed Corduroy Distress Inks, SU! Riding Hood Red & Crumb Cake

Tools:  Martha Stewart Holly Branch punch, Crafts Too heat resistant craft mat, Ranger Mini Mister, heat gun
Embellishments & accessories: Zing Brown Sugar embossing powder, Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls mist, PaperMania sparkly brad, red pearls, 3d foam pads

Photobucket

2 comments:

kelly said...

WOW!!!!

Kelly xx

Margaret said...

Ruth, this is absolutely gorgeous! There are so many beautiful details and techniques on this! A suggestion for vanilla embossing...I'm not sure how well it would cover darker cardstock, but you could try using the very vanilla craft ink and clear embossing powder. I do agree that someone should make this! After all, we have almost every other color available!

01 09 10