Sunday 12 June 2011

Beach Huts Best Wishes - LIM One Layer Frame Card

This weeks challenge at the Less Is More blog is to make a one layer card with a frame.  Challenging indeed - OLCs look deceptively easy but there's nowhere to hide any boo-boos LOL!  I used the beach huts stamp I've borrowed from Lesley again to make a framed beach scene.  The card base is made from watercolour paper and is a side opening A6 size.  I always use hot pressed watercolour paper as it has a smoother texture than cold pressed and so is easier to stamp on.  As the paper is less bumpy you get a good stamped impression first time which didn't always happen for me with cold pressed paper!  I drew my frame first with light pencil lines and then went over them with my SU! Basic Black Stampin' Write Journaler pen, leaving a gap for my sentiment to fit into.

I stamped the sentiment and then stamped the beach huts twice - once on the card front and again on a Post It note to make a mask.  With the mask in place, a circle mask for a sun and extra Post It notes around the frame, I sponged Bashful Blue and Baja Breeze inks for the sky and Crumb Cake ink for the beach.  I then lightly stamped a speckle stamp a few times in Crumb Cake ink on the beach.  I scribbled different coloured markers onto a ceramic tile and picked up the colour with a wet paintbrush to colour the image.  For the tiny parts, I used just a marker direct to the paper.  I then used a reverse mask to sponge So Saffron and Pumpkin Pie inks onto the sun and then stamped the birds. 

To finish off I applied some Rock Candy Distress Stickles to the beach.  Rock Candy is different to other Stickles glitter glues, the glitter is clear, there's no coloured sparkle.  The nozzle is wider than on normal Stickles bottles and you apply a blob and then smoosh it round where you want it, with the nozzle or a finger.  It's had a fab effect on this card, it's given a gritty, granular texture to my beach and the clear glitter has made the sand look quite authentic!  You can click on the picture to get a larger view to see what I mean.

So here we are, a Sunday in the middle of June, how lovely it would be to enjoy a sunny day at the beach - sitting on the front, listening to the seagulls and enjoying an ice cream.  However, thanks to the chilly British weather I'm indoors with my winter woollies on!  But at least I can get some more card making done!



Supplies:
Stamps: Hobby Art Beach Huts, Flock of Birds & Best Wishes, speckle stamp from SU! Itty Bitty Backgrounds set
CS: Daler- Rowner 'The Langton' extra smooth hot pressed watercolour paper
Ink: VersaFine Onyx Black, SU! Bashful Blue, Baja Breeze, Crumb Cake, So Saffron & Pumpkin Pie, various SU! marker pens, SU! Basic Black Stampin' Write Journaler pen
Tools: Stamp-A-Ma-Jig
Embellishments & accessories: Post It notes, Tim Holtz Rock Candy Distress Stickles


Photobucket

22 comments:

Sarn said...

I really like this scenic card. Simple but very effective frame too.

Hugs, Sandra View my card HERE!

Carla said...

lovely card,love the frame and thew colors, the sand looks plendid.

Viv said...

Such a pretty card, great little scene, the stickles set it off nicely too.... like sparkling sand:O) Viv xx

Suze Bain said...

A super card, the sand looks fab. xx

Pauline said...

Lovely beach huts and fab colouring, a wonderful card.

Suzilou said...

Oooo this is lovely, gorgeous stamps and I do love your sparkly sand :)

Deborah Frings said...

Just lovely - a super summer holiday beach scene. Love it!

This would also work for the One Layer Wednesday challenge being hosted by Jennifer at Styles Ink - http://stylesink.ca/2011/06/07/olw57-summer-holidays-and-a-guest-designer/

Kathyk said...

Your fab card made me come over all summery - despite the fact it's throwing rain at my windows!

Kathyk

Chrissie said...

Super card Ruth what a great little scene and I love that sentiment!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
Lady LIM
"Less is More"

Ang C said...

A gorgeous summery card

Sue said...

A fab card Ruth. Love that beach scene.

(It's been so chilly here today we've even put our heating on. How bad is that in June.) Sue.x

Beryl K said...

Lovely summery card
Beryl x

Susan said...

Cute, cute card, Ruth!! Love the little scene you've created. In fact, this card would also fit the One Layer Wednesday challenge...oops, I see that Deborah gave you the link.

Awesome card!
My Card

Mandi said...

Simply fabulous Ruth
Love it!
Great design and frame
Thank you
Diva LIM mandi
"Less is More"

Jenny said...

Loving the summery feel Ruth, fab card :)
Jenny x

kingstonmama said...

This card has great color. I love it!

Zoe Tant said...

This popped out at me. I love beach huts and the scene you've created is one you could just walk into and relax. Zx

Sue said...

A wonderfull card so wish i was sitting on that lovely beach in the sun Luv Sue x

Vicky Hayes said...

I love the whole British seaside feel of this Ruth! Love the gritty sand too. Vx

Aileen said...

This is fab! Love the beach huts and the effect on the sand. x

MonicaB said...

Love the warm bright feel of this card. Just beautiful!

Sally H said...

This is fabulous! I wish I was there right now!!! Love your sparkly sand too

01 09 10